Friday 21 May 2010

Imagine that this is 17th May

Jesus Holy Mary Mother of God, I've missed out an entry!  Way, way back on the 17th May, I thought the following, and I imagined that one day I would post it on this blog.  Alas, I did not.  But today, it is here for you. And you alone:

Bearing in mind, I thought, that the last time I saw a Purple Heron in Britain was c.1990 near c.Doncaster and me being a manic crazy year-listing bad-ass, I thought I best go look at the one that had been frequenting Welwick saltmarsh.  So I did.  Look at it.  And it proved to be very good.  It showed very well for a sometimes-skulking-snakey-Heron-thing.  It appeared to my uneducated eye to be a first year bird, but how can that be?  It's very early in the year for it to be this years vagrant.  Unless Herons have a three-year cycle? So second cy (calendar year) then?

A Barn Owl was day-hunting and posing on fenceposts - just what Barn Owls do.

After all that excitement, I went to lonely Spurn where I saw a Whitethroat at the point!  A Whitethroat at the point!  Sing Hosannas in celebration!  Excuse my deep sarcasm, as it shows the disdain in which I hold this spring's poor showing for scarce and rare at the Spurn.  Red Rumped Swallow? Is that all you've got Spurn Point?  Damn you.  Damn you to eternal hell and may Satan's little wizards not have mercy on your unresting soul.  Blimey!

It wasn't for the want of trying today.  I even did the point dunes, somewhere where I don't often cover.  The upshot of it all was:
1 Blackcap
1 Lesser Whitethroat
1 Willow Warbler
Loads of Whitethroat and..........



..........wait for it.......




.......not a lot else.  I'm sorry if I disappointed you there.



I took some detailed field notes
(Above)



.................

No comments:

Post a Comment