Thursday 20 May 2010

Spurn.

Good lord, it's quiet here today at Spurn Bird Observatory.  I was all geared up.  I took sandwiches, a nice ripe apple, lashings of fresh ham, lots of cheese, fresh bread and fresh tomatoes all washed down with lashings and lashings of ginger beer.  Absolutely wizard!
I don't even know what I can tell you about today.  I suppose I did arrive at a stupid hour (11 o'clock on a sunny day).  One Wheatear, one single tiny bald Willow Warbler, and........Grey Plover.  Grey Plover anyone?  Come to think of it, a guy that came and sat next to me whilst I was chilling out watching the waders from the bench near the Warren, thought Grey Plover was good.  I'm not knocking the chap at all.  I pointed out some summer-plumaged beasts to which he replied "That's a nice bonus".  Each to their own, that's how it is isn't it?  I'm sort of berating Grey Plovers for being perhaps the third best bird of the day yet he's pleased with them.  Let's face it, they are smart looking in summer garb.  Maybe I'm the one who should appreciate things more and not just assess birds on their rarity value, but if you said that a Grey Plover is a better looking bird than, say, a Lancey then you can fuck off, give me the very rare little brown job anyday.  I think the phrase is beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Independence limited.
Freedom of choice is made for you, my friend,
Freedom of speech are words that they will bend,
Freedom with their exception.
(Hetfield/Ulrich/Hammett)
Kirk Hammett, now there's a guitarist. 

There were still hirundines a-moving, mainly Swallows but I'd noticed a few more Sand Martins moving through than the last few days with a whopping 26 counted from the narrows in a mere one hour.  Amazing!  Ha.





................

No comments:

Post a Comment